We get a lot of questions about what we do exactly, or what architects do in general. While there are many posts we could do and many words we could expend on the topic, here’s a super quick primer.
What we do on a custom renovation [working with great contractors, of course]:
1. Strip down layers of shoddy repairs, evidence of neglect, and years of damage. Work to understand the soul of the house. Every house has the potential for greatness!
2. Fix everything. Even [especially!!] the stuff you can’t see. Good houses have good bones. Good houses support the lives of their owners.
3. Rearrange walls, windows, stairs, floors, etc to suit the realities of modern life.
4. Install all new systems – the guts – electrical, HVAC, plumbing.
5. Cover everything up, carefully and with consideration, using a variety of beautiful and practical skin materials – tile, paint, wallboard, wood.
6. Add the tools of life: cabinets, appliances, closets.
7. Cross the t’s and dot the i’s. Every detail matters!
8. Take a moment of gratitude before stepping away, and letting the house live its new life ❤️🛠️